The Parents' Association serves the community of parents at the Waldorf School of Baltimore. These parents have actively chosen Waldorf education because they believe it offers the richest, most comprehensive curriculum, as well as the most heart-centered philosophy of education, in Baltimore. Parent involvement is a key aspect of our school: there are ample opportunities to contribute to the life of the school community. Waldorf education also offers a unique opportunity to grow and develop as your child grows.
There are many opportunities for parent learning and service. The Weekly, the School's newsletter, provides information on upcoming conferences, assemblies, workshops, lectures, and other events of interest. Parents go to class meetings and get-togethers, volunteer to help with a fundraiser, come to our Parent's Association meetings and socials; and read books from Parents' Library and the school store. Parents can socialize at Parents' Assocication sponsored Coffee Hours.
A Little about our Association
The Parent's Association is a community of parents who support each other and the School in a variety of ways. As part of our outreach activities, we participate in the Parents Council of Baltimore and provide public workshops on parenting issues. The Parents' Association is coordinated through a Steering Committee, which meets monthly during the school year. All of us welcome your calls and questions; we're happy to share our experiences! Any parent wishing to participate in these meetings is welcome.
Parents' Association Activities
We welcome and encourage parent participation in our activities, which provide fellowship, as well as funds for the school. Some of the annual projects of the Parents' Association are:
- Harvest Festival. A fun family evening in October, with each class taking responsibility for one aspect of the celebration, the Harvest Festival is truly a school event by and for everyone. Music and dancing, games and storytelling, treats to share and often a play are included. Just for fun - not a fund-raising event!
- Holiday Fair. A bazaar in early December, including food, music, fellowship, and lots of wonderful crafts and gifts to buy. Activities for young children and adults alike. A major fund-raiser for special class trips and general school needs. Each class helps with some aspect of the event. Open to the public.
- Parent Workshop. An opportunity for parents to come to school for workshops in personal development, family process and parenting, drawing on our own experiences and incorporating Waldorf pedagogy and child development.
- Lectures and Discussions. The Parents' Association works to encourage communication between parents and the school administrators and faculty on issues that shape the school. Meetings, usually on a pre-announced topic, are held during the school year.
- Fund-raising. A variety of fund-raising projects, such as purchasing discounted supermarket coupons or saving supermarket receipts, are undertaken by parents. In recent years the proceeds have been used primarily to purchase classroom furniture.
- Scrip. The sale of scrip cards (usable just like cash at many area stores) by the Parents’ Association returns a percentage of the value of each card back to the school. Scrip is available for purchase by order each week. The scrip order forms are available in the lobbies of both buildings or you can print the PDF from the following link: WSB scrip order form (PDF)